Some of what I’ve been reading recently; these links I found most worthy of sharing:
- The inimitable and always profound Chris Hedges takes on the destructive spiral of capitalism run amok yet again in Welcome To The Asylum.
- Oddly enough, for a hard-nosed, critical opposition to an Israeli attack on Iran, you have to go to Israel and listen to former members of their armed services and intelligence communities. Peace activist Uri Avnery tells of The Man With Messianic Tendencies.
- The snowball is growing as the NAACP throws its full support behind marriage equality. So much for the argument that it’s not about civil rights.
- Alternet tells of a Wells Fargo mortgage holder driven to suicide by their petty, malicious harassment. Stories like this will be good to remember when we’re torching their estates and putting them on spikes on the grounds, if we start to forget they aren’t human.
- Robert Reich to the class of ’12: You’re fucked. I couldn’t stand this guy as Labor Secretary, but have been pleasantly surprised to find his post-administration columns much more sincere and grounded than I ever found him to be during his time in office.
- Former FDIC chairperson Sheila Bair sardonically points out that if the US Government bailed out the public by applying the same policies it has employed bailing out the degenerate gamblers of Wall Street, it could cost less and have a more beneficial impact on the economy. It’s an older piece, but didn’t generate nearly as much attention as it should have.
- if DCMartin had a gay son, he’d have a great home. Save this for last; it will make you feel better than the rest of them.